Current studies from Barna, Lifeway, and others are showing that while church attendance among conservative evangelical churches is strong – there is an overall decline in church attendance across the US. It is estimated that between 20% – 40% of any given US community attends church on Sunday. The other 60% – 80% of the population includes both de-churched (people who have left the church) and a growing percentage of un-churched (have never been to church).
If you let those numbers sink in and you look at your own community, it isn’t too hard to figure out how many people in your community don’t attend church. Brenham’s population is 16,000+ people. If we consider the percentages above, then it is safe to assume that between 9,600 – 12,800 people in our community did not attend church last week. The mission field in the city limits of Brenham is likely over 10,000 people.
people in Brenham are not connected to any church